The Center for Elder Law & Justice, Inc. (“CELJ”) is seeking a Director of Development & Communications. CELJ is a 53 person nonprofit law office with three offices located throughout Western New York. It is our mission to use the legal system to help our clients live independently and with dignity.
The Director is charged with primary responsibility for developing, managing and implementing the organization’s development and communication plan. The position is responsible for planning, execution, control and evaluation of fundraising, public relations and education and outreach for the organization. The Director will report to the CEO and work closely with the Senior Management Team and the Board to enhance and support the overall mission of the organization.
- Responsible for development and implementation of agency communications and development plans
- Responsible for foundation grant writing and collaborating with CEO on government grants
- Establish and strengthen mutually beneficial relationships to increase fund development
- Supervise, lead and develop communications & development assistant
- Responsible for agency special events
- Roll out two annual mail campaigns
- Serve as the point of contact for all media requests
- Become an expert on agency donor software
- Assist with outreach events
- Ad hoc projects, as needed
- Responsible for donor cultivation and prospecting
- Four-year degree, required, Masters or equivalent experience, preferred
- Two years of development/fundraising administrative experience in a non-profit organization or related experience
- Experience working on major projects, including special events and new programs
- Three or more years of experience working on capital campaigns
- Experience with grant writing, including grants for federal funding, helpful
- Comfortable speaking and engaging publicly
- Ability to work efficiently and accurately while exhibiting patience and diplomacy
- Strong, professional, verbal and written communication skills
- Advanced computer skills
- Proficient working in database programs
- Potential work on nights and weekends, as needed
- Ability to take initiative and solve problems
CELJ offers a competitive benefits and compensation package, including:
- Generous vacation and sick time.
- Thirteen holidays a year, plus two half-day holidays
- Summer hours between Memorial Day and Labor Day
- Payment of license fees and association dues
- Encouragement of professional development
Send cover letter, resume and writing sample to Rachel Haseley, HR Manager [email protected]
No phone calls please.
CELJ is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and welcomes all to apply, including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Employer recruits without regard to sex, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity, and any such candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.